Cheshire Cat Day Boat
Looking for a day out with a difference? Step aboard Holly Day and explore the Cheshire countryside from a new perspective.
Holly Day is a purpose-built 31ft narrowboat, equipped for up to 10 people.She has fully covered accommodation, with roll-down clear covers, so you can enjoy the scenery whatever the weather. Please note the steering position is outside. Holly has a spacious galley with hot and cold running water, two ring gas hob, grill and oven, an electric coolbox, and a full complement of tableware. The toilet compartment consists of a toilet and washbasin, again with hot and cold running water. Towel, tea-towel, soap, toilet rolls and washing up liquid are provided. Lifejackets are provided for children up to 12, and for anybody else requiring one.
Steering the boat takes a little practice, but is not difficult to master. She steers with a tiller, and has a simple combined gear/throttle lever. You will be shown how to handle the boat, and we will accompany you a short way up the canal while you get the hang of it.
All-day Hire – 9am to 5pm – Prices include fuel and car parking
£110 for weekdays – Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays
£130 for weekends – Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays
Extended day prices – 9am to 6pm £20 extra, 9am to 7pm £40 extra.
A £100 refundable security and damage deposit is required in cash, on arrival
NB: Dates below that are GREYED out have already been booked.
From our base at Overwater Marina, you head towards Nantwich, passing through the two locks at Hack Green.Windlasses are provided for you to work the locks. Please read our guide to locking. There is a pleasant picnic and barbecue area at Coole Pilate, should you prefer not to negotiate the locks., You can moor up, organise a barbecue, and spend the day watching the world go by.
Cruising on towards Nantwich, you pass through open countryside with far-reaching views across the Cheshire plain to Macclesfield, Mow Cop and the Staffordshire moorlands. Look out for Kingfishers on this stretch! On reaching Nantwich, you can moor up and explore the town, or visit the waterside cafe and gift shop in Nantwich basin. You can turn the boat at the end of Nantwich basin, or in any wide part of the canal.
Pickup time is 9am, or earlier by prior arrangement, return by 5pm or dusk if earlier.
Need a Skipper?
If you would prefer your party to be skippered, we may be able to provide a skipper at a charge of £100, subject to availability. Please ask at time of booking. Remember, the skipper counts as one of your party, so the maximum number of guests on a skippered outing is 9.
Prices (Prices include fuel and car parking.)
- All-day hire – 9am to 5pm is £110 for weekdays.
- All-day hire – 9am to 5pm is £130 for weekends and Bank Holidays.
- Extended day prices – 9am to 6pm £20 extra – 9am to 7pm £40 extra.
- Evening hire (May-August only, 6pm-9pm) £70.
- To secure your chosen date, payment must be received within 7 days of booking.
The House Rules
- The maximum number of persons on board is 10, including children and infants, and must not be exceeded at any time.
- The steerer must remain sober at all times, it is an arrestable offence to be drunk in charge of a narrowboat.
- Pets are accepted on board, but bear in mind space is limited on this boat.
- Late return will be charged at the extended day rate and deducted from your deposit.
- Sorry, we do not accept stag or hen parties and ABSOLUTELY NO BOOZE CRUISES.
- Any incidence of unruly or unsociable behaviour may result in you being asked to leave the boat, and your deposit will be forfeit.
- Adverse Weather or circumstances is beyond our control.
- In cases of severe weather, or other circumstances beyond our control such as canal closures, storm force winds, thick fog or canal iced over, it may be necessary to cancel your outing, a full refund of the hire fee will be given, but no liability is accepted for any other loss or expense incurred.
Canal & River Trust Boaters Handbook
If you are new to boating or hiring a boat for the first time please watch the Canal & River Trust’s Boater’s Handbook DVD which is packed with loads of information, tips and advice.